Friday, June 02, 2006

REDISCOVERING AN ICON


maybe i am just slow, maybe i've been in a small bubble somewhere... who knows... but i am just beginning to discover one of the finest musicians around and i know that i am, quite possibly, one of the last people in the world to appreciate all that STEVIE WONDER is. does that make me retarded???

okay, so i'm not that behind, i was familiar with some of his bigger hits like SUPERSTITIOUS and SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED but maybe it was all of his stuff in the late 80's early 90's that threw him in to the category of FM 100 (via UT) favorites, like "I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU." good song... don't get me wrong. but when you are 11 years old and forced into the back of the wood-paneled station wagon with 4 other siblings as we head off to another boring adventure at the fabric store and your crazy mother who calls said wagon her "convertible" because we are saving on gas and have to roll all the windows down, instead of the nice AC starts blaring FM 100 and out comes "I JUST CALLED TO SAY HOW MUCH I CARE"... you see where i'm going with this, don't you?

anyway, like i was saying, i think because i discarded poor STEVIE as someone who could only rival "greats" like LINDA RONSTADT and AARON NEVIL, i never gave him the chance he deserved. never truly appreciated his groove, his funk... his soul!

now i come to you a new woman. i have discovered what so many have discovered before me. songs like:

POSITIVITY (which has become my new favorite song EVER)
SIR DUKE
I WISH

they are fantastic. they make me wanna dance. sing. jive. and in my opinion that is reason enough to like him.




http://www.steviewonder.net/

0 comments: