Tuesday, April 15, 2008

NO, NO A THOUSAND TIMES NO!


recently i have been introduced to a remarkable woman with an amazing story of how she took all her talents in the world and without any 'formal training' in what she now does, became a pretty respected individual in her field. hearing her story inspired me.

she also led me to her blog DARE TO DREAM a website designed to inspire women to reach a little farther and obtain the goals they were sent here to do! and every day i *run over there to see what new inspiration she's cooked up for the day.

her latest blog has especially taught me a lot about myself. it's a lesson i only recently discovered i needed to learn. how to say NO!

i know that sounds really dumb... of course that should be an easy thing to say... but it's not.

those of you that know me know that i am constantly"on the go." my roommates are surprised when they see me at home, eating dinner, resting??? is it really you?

granted i work a lot... but then there's that other part of me. the part of me that doesn't know how to say no. the one that seeks for validation by being "needed" by others. it's camouflaged in the well-meaning admonition to serve others. but me... yeah i take this whole "do everything" attitude to a whole new unhealthy level!

+ the missionaries just called and need me to do this or that- sure
+ a friend had a bad day and could really use a friend- okay after the missionaries- i'm all yours
+ hey don't forget to pick up that one book for our thing tomorrow because i can't do it myself- yeah no problem
+ ummm can you come in early to work today so we can get the one thing done- right-o! i will be there with bells on.
+ i was wondering...- absolutely! whatever you need me to do! i'm your gal!

by the end of each week i take a mental tally of all the things i actually accomplished for myself and it turns out-- am so the under-dog in my own life. and it's no one's fault but my own.

in whitney's blog she references a book "The Power of a Positive No" written by William Ury. i am taking this incredibly insightful excerpt directly from whitney's blog:

I learned...[the importance of saying no] early on in my career from the...extraordinarily successful investor Warren Buffett. Over breakfast one day, he confided in me that the secret to creating his fortune was his ability to say No. "I sit there and look at investment proposals all day. I say No, No, No No, No, No--until I see one that is exactly what I am looking for. And then I say Yes. All I have to do is say Yes a few times in my life and I've made my fortune." Every important Yes requires a thousand Nos.


so onward-ho. let's learn how to say 'no' together, shall we? saying yes, when it works for us- when it's healthy and balanced to do so. saying no when it's important to manage my own life. my own self.

is anyone as bad at this as i am???

5 comments:

ju said...

nope! i mean no.

he he. i heart you.

Laura said...

Hey. I'm blog stalking this afternoon and.... definitely have this problem! I really appreciated this post. Now I will only say "yes" to stuff that is awesome, and I'll heartily "no" everything else.

Right after I finish working, giving a ride to someone in a pinch, going to a dinner with my coworkers, and... oh, shoot. I shall begin tomorrow.

In the meantime, I propose we become better friends.

Anonymous said...

I am likely worse... because even though I'm reading your blog and feeling some truth in it, I'm absolutely unlikely to change my 'yes absolutely' habits. In fact, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of the word no. So much that in deciding which of three books to read, I couldn't think no, I won't take this one to read now, I'll choose the other... luckily the words good, better, and best came to mind. I chose 'best' and didn't have to make a yes/no win/lose decision.

Kylee said...

A few years ago I was the music director of well sought after choir, I had a certain "very busy" calling, I was teaching seminary at Spanish Fork HS, working part time at a Residential Treatment Center 45 min. away from where I lived, part time working in Park City (I lived in Provo), and I was also in a musical at Hale Center Theater. On top of all these things My younger sister really need me as she was going through a tough time, and I had the tug of many amazing friends.

Needless to say I was doing way too much and it was not only paying toll on my relationships and the quality of work ethic I wanted to lead-it also affected my heath.

A dear friend gave me the good, better, best talk (this was before the great conference talks on this subject) and in essence let me know I need to learn to say no more and yes less (which are in deed both hard for me to do and very different in nature!

I think I swung to the other end at one point not saying yes to anything and being really stingy with my time but all in all I think I am finding a good balance.

Miranda J said...

Peggy --

Your post inspired my post.

http://daretodream.typepad.com/weblog/2008/04/when-we-say-no.html

Many thanks -- and FEEL BETTER!

My best,
Whitney Johnson