Wednesday, April 09, 2008

MY MAGIC FEATHER

i was talking to a friend last night and we were discussing the topic of confidence. she relayed a story to me that had more of an impact on me than she probably realized.

my friend attended a workshop or a show of some sort (okay so i don't remember the specifics) of a local story-teller. at one point the story teller said that he needed some audience participation and asked for someone that was really smart and said

"a 6 year old... i need a 6 year old... they are smarter than anyone else in the room."

an awkward silence followed.

"what you don't believe me that a 6 year-old is smarter than any adult in the room? well then with a show of hands... how many 6 year-olds out there think they can draw?"

all of the hands of the children shot in the air.

"okay, now for the adults... how many adults out there think they can draw?"

a few smattering of hands measly lifted into the air.

"ahhh... you see... i told you that 6 year-olds are smarter. they haven't let themselves be fooled into thinking that they can't do anything they want to."

and isn't it true? in my starving artist blog, a few posts back, i talked about confidence and how when i was younger the sky was the limit baby. i could do and be anything i wanted to.

so what's changed?

my ability to do those things never once changed but my perception of whether i could do them or not, did.

i've been thinking a lot about how to change that. i think i have come up with one really great solution as so how.

my good friends.

i have always been blessed to have good friends... through all walks of life. i am a lucky girl. so lately i have tried to listen to them instead of my fears when they tell me i can do something. it's in their words that i find the confidence to step out into the darkness and succeed.

i may not always believe them... but i have found it's easier to believe them than to listen to the stinking stupid dummy voices in my head! i'm like dumbo standing at the top of the circus tent with my little feather that my friends gave me... praying with all my might that they were right all along...

3 comments:

ju said...

can i be the mouse in your cap?

Cara said...

Love this post! Kids can teach us a lot...

mee said...

Yeah! Such profound, good insights. Any time you need an uplift and an 'i think i can, i think i can,' give me a call.