Thursday, April 03, 2008

UPDATE #1


so it's been 1 week since i last blogged about the attempt at losing 10 pounds. i know that doesn't sound like a lot of weight to be complaining about... it's just that i want to gain control of my bad eating patterns BEFORE it's more like 40 pounds... you know???


MY PLAN: eat better and exercise more... no diet... no EXTREME measure to lose the weight... no cut out all sugar-- i NEVER would have followed through with that!

just seeking balance and better choices.


THIS WEEK: i give myself an A+ i did really well in following the plan... not perfect mind you... but really well... and that makes me happy.


WHAT I DID GOOD:
+ mom you will be so happy to hear that i am on my 7th day of taking a multi-vitamin EVERY MORNING... you were right... i do feel better! (for those of you that know me... you will know how extremely hard this one is for me...i HATE taking pills!!!)

+ i have replaced my daily bottle of diet coke with a 1 pint bottle of water that i refill at least once a day... that's 15.4 ounces of water (at least)... every day! and i still have diet coke! remember i'm not taking things away from myself... no punishment necessary... but the more water i drink the less diet coke i drink! tah-da!

+ i have also had A TON more fruits and veggies this week... choosing fruit i purchased at the haymarket for breakfast and salads and soups for lunch, over other options.

[a quick note of interest: i read this article where i learned that you actually need a small amount of fat in your salad dressing because certain important nutrients in green lettuce are actually fat soluble... so in order to get them into your system... you need the fat to help it do that. however, this doesn't give me license to pour on the fatty dressing either... but light dressing tastes just as good and helps me out! read the article here]

+ the snack at my desk all week has been corn chips and sometimes salsa. this is a HUGE improvement from my bags of cadbury mini eggs or box of mike n ikes. i have also told myself that i get 1 snack at my desk a day... it's at 3pm. it gives me something to look forward to... especially when the afternoon bore sets in!

+ eating dessert has been more moderate as well. i choose 1 thing and try to make it only one thing. instead of having an entire box or bag of something at my disposal... i give my will-power a break and just buy one small pack of something or one candy bar or something like that. again... a major improvement!

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:
+ just like i knew it would be, exercise has been the hardest thing to incorporate into my schedule and into my brain. i did go on one really good walk/run last week and one very mild walk on sunday. i also did pilates this week... only once (although the plan is to do it tonight too). so i did do SOME and yes i am feeling good about that... i still feel like i could be more stick-to-it.

+ i did have one REALLY BAD CHOICE day where absolutely no exercise was done AND all i had to eat was pizza and cinnamon sticks from papa johns (my new sinful delight). granted... i did have a friend who had had a really bad day come over and so OF COURSE we had comfort food. and even though i didn't need the comfort... i still ate the comfort food like i did! so the improvement part is to stick to my plan even when i convince myself otherwise... even when others are eating differently. AND THAT's HARD TO DO!!!

TO DO LIST:
+ stick to my same good eating patterns

+pilates tonight and one other time this week... and walk/running twice as well.

4 comments:

kendall said...

Running is overrated. I suggest taking a fast walk or four flights of stairs instead of the elevator. Sure, you may get sweaty when you should be clean and dry for work, but you DON'T have to exercise later. Stupid exercise.

I'm proud of you! The fruits/vegetables is the hardest part of being healthy for me.

Kelly said...

Good job! You had a very good start.

It is hard to eat well when you're around other people who aren't. I gained several pounds after getting married since Jason likes to eat, well, EVERYthing.

However, I'm back on track now and eating well and exercising and I feel great. I know you're going to really appreciate how much better you feel just by being healthy.

Cassidy said...

what no laxatives? I'm glad you have decided to leave out extreme measures. I miss you!!

Roger and Amy Ann Deming Family said...

Dude, you inspire me. As soon as I have had this baby I have decided to go full force. For now it is sugar cereal and ice cream! Although, once it is warm I have decided to at least take walks in the mornings. I think what you are doing is fabulous, so keep up the good work!