Friday, February 27, 2009

WHAT IS IT WITH UTAH AND WEIRD NAMES!!!???


someone PLEASE explain to me, why people from utah feel the need to name their children the WEIRDEST and MOST UNIQUE names on the planet! i'm begging you!

i teach children's theater and i have a few gigs out here in the land of milk, honey and big hair. this week, i met my new groups of 1st and 3rd graders who are taking my "boy's world" and "theater from around the world" classes. they are adorable... i can tell we are really going to have a fun time.

we started things off like i usually do- with a name game. it's actually quite simple. the child picks an action and does it whilst saying their name... then we all copy it. boy oh boy, i'm telling you, it took all i had in me to not laugh out loud at some of the names i encountered!!! here are a few examples... please, let me know if you think i am being too harsh here:

Jerix
Derix (yes i promise you that they are both in the same class and that they are both spelled with and X)
Daxon
Damynee (i got really freaked out that i was going to pronounce this wrong and say a swear)
Dakota (it's a boy and although i have heard this one before, it still made me sad for him)
Darion (also a boy... sigh)
(what's with all the names that start with D??)
Chetton

wha? huh? why?

what ever happened to naming a child after a family member or a certain name because of it's meaning?

how about:

Elisabeth: God's Promise
Matthew: Gift of the Lord
Ruth: Friend/Companion
Emily: Eager

is it really that important to name your child something so unique that there is no way in God's green earth that anyone else is going to have it?

sigh, this is just one more idiosyncratic thing about utah that's probably more annoying than it ought to be. my problem, not theirs. BUT SERIOUSLY!

(obvious yet funny side note: the spell checker didn't recognize a single name on that list!)

8 comments:

kendall said...

WOW. Those names are SO BAD.

SB said...

That's AWESOME!!! Please tell us more. We call our son Topher short for Christopher. Is that wierd?

DANIELLE said...

My nephew's name is Dakota, and surprisingly neither parent is from Utah. We call him Kota for short.

AND Emily is on the 10 ten most popular girls names in the U.S. sooo.... ( I LOVE the name Emily which is why I know that)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with D names! ;) hahaha

However, Derix and Jerix.... I'm just glad their aren't twins! (are they??? Please tell me no)

And I can't figure out any other way of saying Damynee without cursing. lol...it makes me laugh!

Whitney said...

I hate this too. It was like, when about 10 years ago, every baby girl's name began with 'McK' -- McKenna, McKayla, McKyra, McKenzie :: gags!! ::

Holly Janeen said...

your blog is making me wet my pants with laughter! i adore it! :)

first of all, Damynee? my goodness people... its an excuse to cuss!

second of all... you will be happy to know that i am naming MY child (and we live in Utah) a very ordinary name: Charles... and calling him Charlie. so hopefully my good choice of a name will rub off on these nutso utah people! :)

Mary said...

Utahna.

Reggs said...

Damynee?? That kid's parents must hate him.

I think with a bazillion kids in Utah, I did my best to avoid the forementioned "MC" trend. I don't want my kid being the 5th MADYSON in her class. (spelled WITH the obnoxious Y. Sorry to whoever I offend out there).

However, I do like unique names. Being a REAGAN growing up gave me some character! I'm glad I wasn't an Elizabeth!

Linda said...

I really can't stand that either. I had a friend in grad school who did a diversity paper on mormons and while she was researching she came across a lot of great stuff online (some true, some not, be we enjoyed looking at it) One thing she found was a website that you enter your name and it alters it and gives you your "mormon" name. Gosh i wish i could find that again... hilariously ugly!!