Thursday, July 20, 2006

DO I SOUND LIKE RACHMANINOFF TO YOU???


DUDES! i took my very first piano lesson yesterday! it was so much fun!

so a while back i was coming home after a very long day at work, my spirits were low and i was tired. as i climbed the four arduous stairs that lead me into the bowls of my ugly house, i heard a sound that was more beautiful than anything i had heard that day. i stopped. i stood still, trying to decipher if the sound was coming from a radio or television. after a few moments of listening to the quality of the tone i determined that yes, indeed, it was a real live piano. so i sat on my top step and soaked in each and every note that floated from my next door neighbor's house to my eager ears. I LOVE LISTENING TO BEAUTIFUL MUSIC!!! especially when it is live and in person.

i knew that a woman lived in the house next door and we hadn't had a great past with her. there was the time that our tarp, that was hanging on our banister to dry, had fallen into her garden... she was not to pleased about that. and the nasty note we had gotten after one of us had parked our car too close to her driveway. oh and after the big snow storm, someone had already shoveled our driveway and so we decided to "pay it forward" and shovel hers and she poked her head out of the window and said "who are you and why are you being so nice to me?" LOL

but to be fair, a few of our friends had come over that night and talked with her and she seemed to warm up to us and the next day she came over to the house with a plate of brownies... how sweet. but even still, I WAS a little scared of her.

so back to my porch. as i was listening, the thought occurred to me that i should befriend her. maybe i would go so far as to say that it was a prompting... so i was determined that this woman and i would be BFF.

a few weeks went by and i never quite seemed to find the time and there was one time that i was at my kitchen window and i saw her come out of her back door and i said HI and she didn't respond. (honestly, i don't think i would have either... it was kind of weird)

so a few sundays ago i went outside to take a phone call and as i was finishing up i looked over and saw the NDN's dog standing in the driveway. so i began a conversation with it. then around the corner comes the NDN. so i direct my attentions to her... i had my chance. we talked for a while and in that conversation i asked her who it would have been that i heard the other night. she shyly mentioned that she played the piano! then i asked her to play for me and she humbly declined. then i asked her if she taught lessons... LUCKY ME... she does. then i asked her, if she would teach me... LUCKY ME... she would! then i asked her when, she was open this whole summer... wooo hooo! i was so stoked!

side note: for the longest time, almost since i can remember, i have wanted to play the piano. i love music in all its forms and would have KILLED to have the chance to play. sadly, my parents sold the piano when i was 4 and so i would have to live with the disappointment that i would never learn. BUT NOW, the dream is mine to fulfill! and FULFILL I WILL!

by the way, she was so sweet during our conversation and talking to her was really easy, so we set up a lesson for a week and a half from then... i couldn't wait.

yesterday was a long day and i was sooooo tired and almost didn't go, but i decided that it was only a half an hour of my time, i could be a big girl and go anyway. and that's what i did.

CARLA (NDN's name), was dressed up so beautifully and her house felt like a real home... not like my ugly, college student place. and after talking to me for a bit about my extent of musical knowledge, she sat me at the piano and we began talking keys and notes and stuff. i was giggling like a school girl... and carla was giggling right along. then she got out a book and i played my very first song...

SPRING LILY

it was such a pretty song and carla played the teachers line and it made it even prettier... I WAS JUMPING up and down like a little kid. i walked out of there feeling so happy. not only was i doing something positive for myself, buy i was making a dream of mine come true.

so there you have it... one day, i will have a recital and you are all invited!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound SO happy! I love that you are learing the piano. I'm jealous. I need to start up again.

Well have SO MUCH FUN!!

Love a MISS YOU A TON
STefanie Omer Dean

Lady Bills said...

STEF!!! i love that you respond to my posts. you rock my friend and i miss you too. i hope to see you AUG!

LUV U and say hi to G for me!